Monday, September 7, 2009

What's the opposite of grumbling?

Our church is going through a series on Philippians. Last week, our pastor preached on "do all things without grumbling and questioning" from Philippians 2. Having been raised in the church, I've heard a number of sermons on this passage that amount to the pastor (or college president or missions leader) bludgeoning the listeners over the head with the verse because someone dared to question some decision he made. But this week, I heard this verse preached in context of the whole message of Philippians and really in context of the whole message of the Bible. My pastor's gospel-centered look at this verse this week resulted in a profoundly different response from me. I have actually listened to this sermon three times and replayed parts of it even more. In a brief 26 minutes, God spoke to me through His word in profound ways.

If you are struggling with a loss or lack in your life and tired of the weak Christian response of just buck it up or count your blessings, please listen to this sermon. I can't recommend it highly enough.

4 comments:

Wenatchee the Hatchet said...

I plan to give this a listen. I just recently listened to his sermon on grumbling from a pertinent text in Exodus and was relieved it was not the usual "put up and shut up" sermon I have come to expect from pastors.

Cherie said...

I always love "stopping by to visit" your blog! It usually meets in a very needy place and I walk away encouraged. I can't wait to hear this sermon!

jennifer said...

Thank you for this link. I was wondering if you would mind putting the link for the next one too where he said he would be talking about this some more with a focus on the practical.

jennifer said...

Thanks - I've just downloaded it to my ipod. Also I hope that you are feeling better.

Post a Comment

 
Free Website templateswww.seodesign.usFree Flash TemplatesRiad In FezFree joomla templatesAgence Web MarocMusic Videos OnlineFree Wordpress Themes Templatesfreethemes4all.comFree Blog TemplatesLast NewsFree CMS TemplatesFree CSS TemplatesSoccer Videos OnlineFree Wordpress ThemesFree Web Templates