Monday, February 23, 2009

Books I have enjoyed

For kids:

I have been on a qwest for some time for the perfect children's Bible. I wanted it to be actual Scripture with lifelike pictures on the page with the Scripture. I have found ones with good pictures that didn't use the actual Scripture and ones that quote Scripture but don't have the pictures on the page with the story they describe. I actually started making my own, getting Genesis and Exodus done before becoming so weary trying to find appropriate pictures that I gave up.

All this to say that I am VERY excited about Crossway's new ESV Illustrated Family Bible. It has 270 actual Scripture selections from the Bible, each illustrated with realistic images that will help children picture the stories.

And for adults:

The Walk by Michael Card is a small book that I think is out of print. In it, Card tells of his relationship with his Bible professor in college and what he learned of discipleship from him. God taught me much of Himself and His vision for discipleship through this simple book. When in doubt, "flee to the life of Jesus." Jesus' example is always a safe place to rest, meditate, and learn.

This little book transformed how I thought about discipleship. I have been given several neat opportunities to speak to large groups of ladies over the years. Those opportunities were REALLY exciting to me. But it was easy to justify sacrificing ministry to individuals in that season. I didn't have time to do both right?! So I needed to protect myself so that I could teach masses of ladies. Wasn't that a more effective use of my talents and opportunities?

If we flee to the life of Jesus, we see this for the myth it is. Jesus taught masses for sure. But He never did it at the expense of His ministry to the few. He taught 5000. He taught 12. And He taught 3. And in the end, it was the inner three that took His legacy to the world.

"I would like to speak to you now about discipleship. ... I will tell you a story because something as important as discipleship cannot be reduced to a definition or contained in a program. The truth of it must be lived out to be properly understood. It is organic; it flexes and moves and defies definition. That is the way of discipleship.

The means of discipleship is ... essentially a walk that two people share together over the course of months or, hopefully, years. It is in the context of the walk that the truth becomes fleshed out and alive. We see the truth of this in the life of Jesus." (p.
5-6)

If you are looking for a 5 step program on discipleship, this is not it. However, if you want an examination of discipleship that focuses on the life of Jesus, this little book is likely to be life changing for you.


5 comments:

Donna said...

Thanks for your blog, Wendy, I found my way here from a friend's blog a few weeks ago.

Realitic pictures of bible stories in a children's bible are great, I remember having such a bible as a child - realistic pictures make the stories seem more realistic too.

I'd be interested to see how you find the text of the ESV for children. I have found that it's difficult for kids to understand, and also for teens. I've done some thinking on using different English bible translations for different purposes here http://thetravellingtoulburys.blogspot.com/2009/02/which-is-best-translation.html if you're interested.

Wendy said...

Thanks, Donna. I don't have enough experience reading the ESV to my children to give an informed opinion. It seems easy enough to me, but that's coming from someone who grew up reading from the King James Version. Anything is easier than that!

Anonymous said...

Wendy,
I'd recommend "The Big Picture Story Bible" by David Helm for younger kids (I read it with Trey) and "The Jesus Storybook Bible" by Sally Lloyd-Jones for kids 5-8. Both very theologically solid. The artwork in the Lloyd-Jones bible is good as well.
John

Wendy said...

John, I have the 2nd one but the 1st. I'll definitely check it out. Thanks!

Jennifer said...

We love this Family Bible. We've been using it for several months - the illustrations are beautiful and the selections are really excellent for my 5 and 7 year old boys.

We use it every night at the dinner table, after we've eaten we read a selection and then take turns asking someone else a question. This format has been very effective in building a consistant "family" Bible reading.

We have enjoyed both the Big Picture and The Jesus Storybook Bible but having the actual text and the realistic illustrations are the reasons we chose this one.

We also use Crossway's Childrens ESV - my 7 year old uses the Table of Contents to look up verses for our school lessons - I think that one is a great transition to an adult Bible - it's got a kid friendly format and illustrations without all the gimmicks of other children's Bibles.

I haven't had trouble using the ESV with my guys. I have to define a few words here and there but reading aloud to them above their reading level is a great way to build their vocabulary.

Post a Comment

 
Free Website templateswww.seodesign.usFree Flash TemplatesRiad In FezFree joomla templatesAgence Web MarocMusic Videos OnlineFree Wordpress Themes Templatesfreethemes4all.comFree Blog TemplatesLast NewsFree CMS TemplatesFree CSS TemplatesSoccer Videos OnlineFree Wordpress ThemesFree Web Templates