Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Job, Screwtape, and Our Testimony in the Heavenly Places

I've had the book on my shelf for four or five years, but I'm finally just getting around to reading The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis. For those who didn't read all of Lewis' works before graduating from college, The Screwtape Letters is a series of fictional letters written between two demons trying to undermine the faith of a new Christian.

It reminded me of one of the most important truths of the book of Job. Sometimes our suffering, temptation, and testimony has nothing to do with others here on earth. Sometimes it is completely about the testimony we give in the heavenly places. In Job, there is no evidence that anyone on earth ever realized the point of his suffering. Yet, there was indeed a point. Satan's accusation was that Job only worshipped God because God had blessed him with family and finances. Job's testimony to Satan through his suffering was that God was worthy to be worshipped whether He blessed Job physically on earth or not.

We tend to see our sufferings as valuable only if we can see some kingdom purpose for them on earth in a certain time frame. We lack patience, and we lack perspective. And then we faint in the midst of trial. Paul in Ephesians 3, says "His intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms." When we persevere in faith in the midst of temptation, trial, and suffering, there is something much bigger going on than what we look to in our earthly reality. We are giving testimony to demons and angels alike of the wisdom and worth of God.

I love this quote from Screwtape's letters to his demon nephew. It makes me think of Job. And it gives me hope and joy as I think of my own trials.

"Our cause is never more in danger than when a human, no longer desiring, but still intending, to do our Enemy's will, looks round upon a universe from which every trace of Him seems to have vanished, and asks why he has been forsaken, and still obeys."


If you are in the midst of suffering and struggling to find God's pursposes in it, I hope you are sustained by the vision of a sullen demon walking away in disgust because despite his best efforts, you were faithful to God, not because He was good to you (though He is), but simply because He is worthy.

6 comments:

carole said...

Great quote. This is a favorite book of mine.

limpdance said...

Again and again, your blog offers fresh insight, and many things said here actually affect the details of my day! God definitely uses your words as part of his grand mind renewal process for me.

"Sometimes our suffering, temptation, and testimony has nothing to do with others here on earth. Sometimes it is completely about the testimony we give in the heavenly places."

I still need to chew on it, but it's already set me off...

Jody said...

We just began a new study in our womens' SS class on the book of Job by Kay Arthur. My first thought when I think of Job is his suffering, but God never answers the "why?" of suffering, but shows us Himself, who He is and we can trust Him to bring us through. Suffering, in Job's case, can be excruciating, but God is there.

Linda said...

Amen!

Jen said...

When I think of Job, I think of him as a soldier in a battle. And even though he gets beat up very badly, he gives the knock out punch when he says I came onto this Earth naked, and naked is how I'm going to leave (the Lord gives & the Lord takes away), but regardless... BLESSED BE THE NAME OF THE LORD. I can't think of a better hero in the Bible because he was quite literally tortured & he did not reject God.

I can't wrap my brain around the business of our suffering to show angels & demons that God is worthy of praise & glory... don't they already know that? I just don't get it.

great blog post!

Javetta said...

Great stuff Wendy!

I bought a copy of Screwtape months ago...I guess I need to add it to my summer reading list!

Post a Comment

 
Free Website templateswww.seodesign.usFree Flash TemplatesRiad In FezFree joomla templatesAgence Web MarocMusic Videos OnlineFree Wordpress Themes Templatesfreethemes4all.comFree Blog TemplatesLast NewsFree CMS TemplatesFree CSS TemplatesSoccer Videos OnlineFree Wordpress ThemesFree Web Templates