Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Spiritual Parasites

From the parable of the sower in Mark 4

5Other seed fell on rocky ground, where it did not have much soil, and immediately it sprang up, since it had no depth of soil. 6And when the sun rose, it was scorched, and since it had no root, it withered away. …


Jesus’ explanation

16And these are the ones sown on rocky ground: the ones who, when they hear the word, immediately receive it with joy. 17And they have no root in themselves, but endure for a while; then, when tribulation or persecution arises on account of the word, immediately they fall away.


I am really interested in understanding the implications of Jesus’ teaching here. I discipline myself against judging others in their walk with Christ, and yet I want to be discerning in recognizing the pattern of seeds, growth, and fruit that Jesus’ describes in this parable.

The phrase “it had no root” is especially noteworthy to me. I have spent my life in Christian circles, and I have witnessed a lot of seeds springing up that have enthusiasm for a bit but then fall away when the going gets tough. The phrase that clarifies what’s happening in this case is that “they have no root in themselves.” Wow! That’s sobering. They have heard the truth and they receive it with joy. They seem really excited about it all. They jump right in and get involved. But over time, they are more like the moss on my stone patio than the lavender with deep roots in my garden. The moss grows on anything, but all I have to do is step on it and it is uprooted and scattered. Why? It doesn’t have any roots of its own. It’s a parasite. It gleans from its host, but it produces nothing on its own.

That’s a sobering analogy. Even more sobering is to think of this word picture in terms of people I know. In particular, I am aware of a few men who have attached themselves this way to godly women I know. They are parasites. Spiritual seeds sown in their midst seem to spring up quickly with joy, but they have no roots of their own. This type of man gleans all he can from the woman who has caught his interest. But if she is ever removed from the picture, his true state is immediately revealed.

In this parable, Jesus teaches that true Christians, those in which the seed has taken root, are recognized by their fruit. But I find that many in Christianity define fruit very differently than the Bible. We often think of fruit as numbers of people we witness to or influence. But the Bible defines fruit as the character produced in the heart of the seed bearer. The fruit of the Spirit—the clear evidence that the seed has taken root and that the Spirit is at work—is love, joy, peace, kindness, gentleness, and self-control (Galatians 5). Naïve enthusiasm isn’t spiritual fruit. Large numbers aren’t spiritual fruit. If we really want to examine ourselves in terms of spiritual fruit according to this parable, we must examine our love. Our gentleness. Our kindness. Our self-control. And it’s probably wise to do this in community with other believers.

The place I wrestle most is what do you do with someone exhibiting the traits of a spiritual parasite? Let’s say you are a woman who recognizes this man in your life. And yet, because you love Jesus and share His compassion for others, you don’t want to throw this guy rudely to the sidelines. It is right for us to hope that our analysis of this guy is wrong, that he will develop deep roots in Christ. The gospel demands just this type of grace and hope from us for him. It is right that we remain compassionate toward this guy. We must be both truthful and loving with a view of the thing that would most likely point him to Christ for the long haul. If you find yourself in this situation, I encourage you to find other godly Christians who will share your burden for this guy and come along side of him IN YOUR PLACE. See, you are an idol to this guy. You may think you are helping him, but really he is most likely letting you stand in the place of God to him. If his happiness and enthusiasm for the faith rises or falls based on your responses to him, trust me, you are an idol to him. The most loving thing you can do for him is get out of the way. Get out of the way is not the same as abandon. Make sure there are other godly believers, maybe a married couple or group of men, who are willing to call him, pursue him, and walk with him through the season of seeing his need for a real relationship with the Root of David, that he may move from parasite to true branch in the Vine.



4 comments:

bekahmae said...

Great analogy, lots of things to think about, Wendy. I have this same conversation with my friends quite often. How do you walk rightly with those that seem to be rootless without judging their heart? And when do quit walking with the one who maintains enthusiasm with no fruit evident? Or do you ever stop walking with them? I've heard so many counter this with Jesus' statement about not casting pearls before swine. What's the line between hoping for roots and fruit and casting pearls? Is that a line that only God can see?

Lots of questions. Thanks for sharing this.

Jackie said...

Very thought provoking, Wendy. Your analogy is right on the money in my opinion. I've seen it in those close to me and seen the reactions of Christians who did or did not come along side to help a brother in Christ. There is a difference between having no fellowship with darkness (the lost) and abandoning a fellow Christian.

Christian gal in the City said...

Hi Wendy,
Love your work for the Kingdom, always love your teaching on the Mars Hill website! so meaty!!
Just from reading your post, i feel convicted with jugding others too, however i see it as a fruit on the outside of the tree of my life? what would be causing this?? what roots need to be pruned by the Lord! is it pride??? help!!!

Wendy said...

Well, I think it goes deeper than that. I think our gracious responses toward others verses our self-righteous, judgmental responses are determined by one root thing--our understanding of the gospel to ourselves. I'm not saying we aren't saved or don't understand the gospel at some level, but I am saying that we need to examine ourselves with the core pieces of the gospel to ourselves.

Do I see myself as Paul did as the chiefest of sinners? Do I understand that I sinned against God in ways that cost Christ His life on the cross? Sometimes, we think God saved us from ever committing those types of sins. But the reality is that our very nature was deserving of God's wrath (Ephesians 2). Even more importantly, how do I see myself in the present in terms of my need for the gospel? Did I "get saved" years ago and now I'm a fairly good person by my own efforts? Do I understand that apart from God's daily grace and mercy to me, I would act out on the worst of my nature? We won't respond to others from a position of gospel grace, mercy, and humility until we fully get God's daily grace, love, and mercy to ourselves.

Post a Comment

 
Free Website templateswww.seodesign.usFree Flash TemplatesRiad In FezFree joomla templatesAgence Web MarocMusic Videos OnlineFree Wordpress Themes Templatesfreethemes4all.comFree Blog TemplatesLast NewsFree CMS TemplatesFree CSS TemplatesSoccer Videos OnlineFree Wordpress ThemesFree Web Templates