Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Equipping Women for Gospel-Centered Lives

At a recent women’s retreat, I met ladies I had never known before and continued conversations with others that I had already casually known. At some point in the weekend, casual conversations changed to something deeper. Women that I had thought of in relatively straightforward ways began to reveal circumstances that had seriously complicated their lives. The church leader’s wife whose husband had struggled with homosexuality. The Sunday School teacher whose father had taken his own life the year before. The trim, well groomed, single career woman whose brother and best friend had died in a car accident when she was eighteen. The church secretary who was fired from her position after complaining over sexual harassment from a pastor. It dawned on me over time that though the women walking around the retreat all looked relatively well adjusted, the vast majority of them had dealt with or were currently dealing with serious trial and struggle. Something had invaded the boundaries of their lives, decimating their naïve notions of how their lives would play out. A brother dies. A father commits suicide. A pastor betrays them. A husband walks away. A boyfriend stops returning calls. Miscarriage robs, and the pregnancy test never shows two lines again.

There is something in the gospel that meets wounded women in their brokenness. Scripture certainly gives general comfort that transcends gender. Male and female find healing from their woundings in the gospel. But there is also a particular balm to women that meets us in the woundings tied specifically to our gender. For some of us, our woundings are tied to our own failures – we have sought to find our identity in something God has not declared good and then we are frustrated when it does not satisfy. But for many more, our woundings are tied to wanting exactly what God has instructed us to want. Loving our brother, mother, or father is a good thing. Desiring marriage to a godly man and raising children for the Lord is consistent with God’s earliest designs for man and woman. Submitting to a church elder fits with God’s design for church authority. Confronting them for their sexual harassment fits as well. Yet many women’s greatest struggles, fears, and woundings stem from their vulnerability over the very things that God has declared good for them and His specific commands to them in light of those purposes. Women need to be taught what God declares good for His daughters. But women also need to understand how the gospel equips them to deal with the vast gulf between what God declares to be His good plan for them and the reality of their daily lives.

In light of this, may I speak for a moment to those leading women’s ministries and organizing women’s teaching events? If your message doesn’t resonate as well with the single woman watching her biological clock ticking away without a date in 8 years as the wife and mom who homeschools her children, you have missed the fullness of the message of the gospel. You may have communicated some out of context Scripture on women’s roles in the church and home, but you missed the gospel that equips us to bridge the gap between God’s good plan and the depraved world in which we live. That’s a bold statement, I know, but hear me out.

We need to teach on marriage and family in a way that ministers grace to the single, widow, or infertile woman. We need to teach on submission and church authority structures in a way that equips women abused by the very leadership to which they were called to submit to boldly live out their giftings as co-heirs with Jesus Christ. We need to teach on motherhood in a manner that sets not it as the highest good but our conformity to Christ through its trials and our failures in it.

If by the term conservative you mean someone who believes Scripture means what it says and its instructions can be taken at face value, then I am as conservative as they come. But I am not comfortable with the tone of teaching I have heard the last few years from conservative evangelicals on women’s issues. Day in and day out, I hear from woman after woman who doesn’t fit the mold, perhaps by her choice but more often by circumstances completely out of her control, who feels lost in our evangelical construct of what the godly woman looks like. The problem is that she was not taught clearly that the image in which she was created is God’s and the image to which she is now being conformed is Christ’s. She feels pressure to be like Ruth or the Proverbs 31 woman but not so much to be like Christ. But Scripture doesn’t give us that leeway. She was created in God's image and is being conformed back to Christ's. Period.

In just the last two weeks, I have had three different women (2 single and 1 married) tell me of the disconnect they feel when they hear teaching on women’s issues. Each loves God and is seeking His plan for their lives. Yet there is a vast disconnect between the peer pressure they feel from their churches and study groups and the reality of what it means to be a woman in their particular personal circumstances. Maybe I’m just reacting to a perception that is not the reality. But as my husband often says, perception is the reality of the person who perceives it. I think I perceive this as reality not because Christian leaders don’t believe the right things about the gospel and God’s plan for women but because we haven’t been careful to parse it and present it clearly. When we leave open the opportunity for misinterpretation, we can’t be defensive when people misinterpret it.

It is not good for man (or woman) to be alone. And, yet, God calls many women (and men) to live in that very state for the majority of their lives, a state that He Himself calls “not good.” Children are a blessing from the Lord, and yet their presence in or their absence from our lives can be the biggest source of struggle a woman faces. There is something in the gospel and all that Christ has accomplished on the cross that equips women to deal with the difference. Longing for what God declared good, yet living abundantly in Christ until His kingdom comes and restores all that lacks now in our lives.

A single friend and I had a long conversation about this over dinner a while back. She articulated to me so beautifully the doctrine of living in this tension between what God declares good verses what He has allowed in her life. I have asked her to write her thoughts out and hope to post them here in the near future. Until then, I hope simply with this post to provoke thought on what it looks like to teach to women on every subject from the constant foundation of the gospel bridge between what God created us to be in His image and what we now find in our reality. May our ministries minister grace to women—single, married, widowed, with kids, without kids—to live in Christ and be like Christ, overcoming with joy at every stage of life.

17 comments:

jennifer said...

This post has been very helpful to me. I am taking a course in pastoral care for women, and chose to do my assignment on infertility including struggles faced by christians and how Christians and the church can be caring. Having three children myself I thought it would be good to look at an issue that is outside my own experience.

I have found so many stories of ways in which we as Christians and a church contribute to the hurt and pain experienced. Your point about our women's talks etc speaking to women in all different situations is helpful.

Joanna said...

Amen :)

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog for awhile and appreciate your honesty and compassion. My husband and I have been struggling with infertility. I often feel a disconnect from people in the church including my Christian sisters. I also have other friends that have been dealing with various trials in their lives and have experienced a disconnect from the church. It's my hope that as a Christian I can minister to those who are hurting because so often they feel on the fringes.

Sandy said...

Thanks for this convicting and thought provoking post. I been challenged in my own ministry at my church to make sure I am ministering to the woman as a person not just as a mom or wife. Having several friends my age who are single helps me to see life from their perceptive.

Wenatchee the Hatchet said...

I always like reading your blog, Wendy.

Andrea said...

I may have a different view but here it is:) Honestly when I hear the word "women's ministry" it makes me cringe a bit. It seems to me that there are too many "women centered ministries". The church was never meant to be segregated by life-stage or gender. We are called to be the body. Don't get me wrong-there is a time and place for women to come together for fellowship, friendship, retreats, etc. However, if woman are continually only ministered to by other women, which is often the case, it can be incomplete. There is so much value to be in a small group of men and women sharing openly about struggles and learning how to apply the gospel together. We have purposefully not started a women's ministry and only focus on small groups with different life-stages and genders. I oftentimes wonder if we as the modern day church have missed it. We are continuously putting people into segregated groups that are going through the exact same things, with no perspective of the future. I think we are cheating women by only giving them "women's ministry" instead of focusing on building up the entire body of believers together. I have been mulling this over in my brain for the past 2 years as we have started our church in Austin. I am still thinking it over...I would love to hear your thoughts on this Wendy!

Wendy said...

Andrea, I don't disagree with you. I agree with qualifications. I do love a women's retreat. I love the slightly different quality it takes on from something for couples or families. I guess I could just go to a cabin by myself to rejuvenate without my husband or kids, but a women's retreat that allows for both separate meditation and group worship meets a need for me. And I value times when an older woman comes alongside me like Titus 2 models. I've been at churches where the term women's ministry didn't mean too much more than a yearly retreat and occasional group teaching. I've never been at one that had segregated teaching dominate their ministry to women. But I definitely see that as a problem where it exists.

pw2005 said...

"She feels pressure to be like Ruth or the Proverbs 31 woman but not so much to be like Christ. But Scripture doesn’t give us that leeway. She was created in God's image and is being conformed back to Christ's. Period."

Simply, amen.

Andrea said...

Good insight, Wendy! I totally agree with needing retreats and older women in my life too. Thanks for letting me think out loud:) Unfortunately, I've been amongst those types of WM. I am being careful to not swing the pendulum too far to the other side and throw the baby out with the bathwater! I love the women of our church and long to see their desires, hurts, & sins all met in Jesus. I'll continue to ponder the "packaging" ;)

kbonikowsky said...

I've been following a blog on a woman who left the Quiverfull movement. It has given me much insight/wisdom/discernment when working with women in a pastoral setting. It goes along with much of what you wrote here. Kudos.

Wendy said...

Thanks, Kay. I'd be interested in reading her thoughts. If you don't want to post the link here, could you email it to me? Or facebook me?

Wendy said...

Wow. That's painful to read. She didn't just reject the movement, she rejected everything. How sad. Also, insightful.

Z' Hodges said...

All I can say is WOW! God used you to hit EVERY nail on the head. Praise the Lord for you, Sister! I just found this site from another friend. I'm glad that I did. I'll be back! LOL

Zinnada<><

Jenn A said...

I have heard the same things from women that I know. Totally agree. I'm thankful that you are able to articulate things so well!

Kristen said...

Great thoughts, Wendy! This is something I've long agreed with. Ever since I sat in a SS class as a young married woman and heard the teacher teach over and over on motherhood when 99% of the class was young marrieds without children. I was so frustrated, and remember wondering aloud why we couldn't be in class with the 50+ crowd and learn about married life from them! I have also cringed so many times when I hear thoughtless words spoken about a particular stage of life, knowing there were hurting women that were not in that particular stage.

You are so right that we teach women "to live in Christ and be like Christ, overcoming with joy at every stage of life."

Thank you for your insight!

Nancy Guthrie said...

Oh, Wendy, what can I say but "wow!" As I read your post I realize that while I often seek to apply my message to women in a variety of situations, there are some I never allude to and probably leave those women still feeling out in the cold—that once again they've gone to a women's event at church and felt like they don't fit. Thank you for this wise insight that will change some of my message applications!

silly test blog said...

Jim, that sounds fine to me. Would you email me what you need from me at theologyforwomen@gmail.com?

Post a Comment

 
Free Website templateswww.seodesign.usFree Flash TemplatesRiad In FezFree joomla templatesAgence Web MarocMusic Videos OnlineFree Wordpress Themes Templatesfreethemes4all.comFree Blog TemplatesLast NewsFree CMS TemplatesFree CSS TemplatesSoccer Videos OnlineFree Wordpress ThemesFree Web Templates