Thursday, February 4, 2010

Leave Your Gift at the Altar

Matthew 5 21 "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.' 22But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, 'You fool!' will be liable to the hell of fire. 23 So if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24leave your gift there before the altar and go. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.

I have a long, varied Christian experience – many churches, many Christian ministries, Christian colleges, mission trips, etc. Someone who knows me is going to think I’m writing this about them and their experience. I’m not. Or maybe I am, but I’m writing it about 50 different experiences. In other words, if you see yourself in this exhortation, it’s not because I am writing about your specific experience, but because your specific experience really reflects something that happens quite often in our Christian experience for which Christ has given a very clear specific command.

The situation is unresolved Christian conflict. Some issue came up, people got angry, and instead of resolving the issue, one or both parties dug in their heals. Eventually each went on their separate way unreconciled. The answer is NOT what most of us try to do – keep plodding along in Christian ministry in hopes that all the other good that seems to come in spite of or maybe even because of the conflict will outweigh the bad. The answer is, quite simply, to STOP EVERYTHING and be reconciled.

Consider the scenario Christ presents – this guy or girl is at the altar ready to offer a good gift, likely a very good gift. The quality of the gift about to be offered is not in question here. It could be the best gift ever, given of completely good motives. And Jesus says LEAVE IT. Don’t distract yourself from this unresolved situation by all the other good things you have done and continue to do for God. Praise God your ministry has pointed others to the gospel. Praise God that you still bring meals to the sick or visit widows in their affliction. That is good and the appropriateness of those offerings is not in question. And, yet, Jesus stills says LEAVE IT. First, be reconciled to your brother or sister. If you continue in fruitful ministry while unreconciled to your brother or sister in Christ, it does not discount the value of your offering. It just is plain, simple disobedience. It’s sin.

Reconciliation doesn’t mean that you and your opponent finally fully agree about whatever issue that prompted your original conflict. It means that you humble yourself to say, “You are more important than this issue. And while I hold to my convictions, I was angry and unloving in our conflict. Please forgive me.”

Humbling myself in these situations is the hardest thing I’ve ever done. In my experience, it is extra hard to talk myself into moving toward someone in reconciliation. First, they likely sinned against me as I did them. And I desperately need them to recognize their sin against me. The fear of rejection is two fold – I fear that they may reject my apology, but I also fear that they won’t acknowledge their part in the conflict. In that scenario, I imagine myself walking away in utter dejection after humbling myself and being real and vulnerable with that person. But the reality of my experience is that even when someone doesn’t receive my apology or acknowledge their sin against me as I want, I still have won. Because the point was obeying Christ’s commands, and now I can offer Christ my offering to Him without baggage. The other person may not have received my attempt at reconciliation, but Christ receives it. And THAT makes it worthwhile.

If you are plodding along in Christian ministry in hopes that all the other good that you are doing outweighs the bad of the lingering conflict, remember Christ’s instruction to stop everything and be reconciled --- and OBEY Him.

If you are in that place, feel free to request prayer in the comment section.

**One added thought -- This verse helps me know how to think about good Christian ministries that have sinned against someone I know. Until I examined Christ's teaching here, my choices seemed to be only to ignore their sin and support the good they were doing or totally discount everything they did because their sin was so obvious. When confronting a ministry leader once about their sin against another, their response to me was, "But don't you all the good this ministry is doing?!" Christ gives us a 3rd response, which is neither denying the good works the ministry/person is accomplishing or accepting their sin against you or another. They could be doing great good. BUT they STILL need to stop everything and be reconciled. They may be doing great things and still be disobeying Christ.

5 comments:

'Grace' said...

Ok, I agree with what you said. But, I've gotta tell you - posts like this one always leave me feeling frustrated and slightly guilty.

What about when the other person absolutely refuses to reconcile? What about when you've tried and tried to make it right again and it wasn't enough? Is that when I walk away with a clear conscience?When is it time to stop trying?

Knowing that the conflict isn't resolved makes me uneasy. It leaves me feeling like there must be something else I can do, even though when I really think about it, I honestly don't know what it would be.

Wendy said...

Grace, I don't want you to feel frustrated or guilty!! Especially if you feel like you've done all you know to do to reconcile. I think the only obligation you have is to say ONE TIME (and sincerely), "I'm sorry. Will you forgive me?" The ball is then in their court, and you have done what you could. I am so sorry that your attempts to reconcile were not received. I will pray that Christ convicts your opponent of this Scripture.

Katie said...

This can definitely be a hard one when the other person wants to brush over the issue! I went through something like this long distance with a friend of mine, and it took us maybe a year before we finally got things resolved. We'd try to talk about things for a bit, and then back off of it for a while, and then we'd rehash stuff again, and then back off. We finally got it all resolved when we really poured our hearts out towards each other in regards to how broken we both felt over the fact that we had hurt each other deeply.

Since then, I had a time when I started feeling a general suspiciousness towards her again, and I stopped myself and decided to believe in the love I know she has for me and also for God. I decided to just love her from then on, and since then we've been rebuilding our friendship. Who knows if we'll ever get over the scars from that bad time though, but atleast we've finally gotten through it! It was such an agonizing time for me.

Wendy said...

Katie, that's a good word.

Cathy said...

Hi Wendy,
I often love my own convictions more than I love Jesus' people. Thanks for spurring me on to repentance.

Post a Comment

 
Free Website templateswww.seodesign.usFree Flash TemplatesRiad In FezFree joomla templatesAgence Web MarocMusic Videos OnlineFree Wordpress Themes Templatesfreethemes4all.comFree Blog TemplatesLast NewsFree CMS TemplatesFree CSS TemplatesSoccer Videos OnlineFree Wordpress ThemesFree Web Templates